Talk with your doctor
In general, it’s a good idea to stay away from medication while you’re pregnant if you can.
During your first trimester, avoid using Nyquil Severe Cold & Flu, which contains phenylephrine, and only use it during your second or third trimester if your doctor says it’s okay.
Can I take DayQuil if Im pregnant?
So what cold medications are generally considered safe during pregnancy? Acetaminophen. If you’re running a fever or suffering from nasty body aches or headaches, it’s generally considered safe to take products containing acetaminophen (like Tylenol).
What cold medicines are safe during pregnancy?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)
How do you treat a cold when pregnant?
How to Treat a Cold or Cough During Pregnancy
- Get ample rest – Take naps, sleep through the night, and sit down to relax.
- Drink plenty of fluids – Drink water, juice, or broth to add necessary fluids back into your body.
- Eat well – Even if you cannot stomach larger meals, try eating small portions often.
Is DayQuil safe during breastfeeding?
Dextromethorphan has been studied in breastfeeding women and is considered safe. (Often found in Alka Seltzer Plus, Tylenol Cough & Cold, Vicks DayQuil and NyQuil and more.) Never stop nursing because of a cold—your breastmilk passes antibodies to baby, serving as his or her best defense against catching your illness.
Can coughing hurt the baby while pregnant?
Sneezing cannot hurt your baby. Sneezing doesn’t pose any risks to your baby at any stage of a pregnancy. However, sneezing can be a symptom of an illness or disease, such as the flu or asthma. Sneezing and coughing can put more pressure on the ligament, causing a stabbing pain.
Can I take Tylenol Cold and flu while pregnant?
For example, while Tylenol pain reliever (acetaminophen) is relatively safe for occasional use during pregnancy, Tylenol Sinus Congestion and Pain and Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom liquid contain the decongestant phenylephrine, which is not. Read labels.
Is Robitussin safe while pregnant?
Robitussin and pregnancy. Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin both appear to be safe to use during pregnancy. However, many liquid cough medications that contain these ingredients also contain alcohol. You shouldn’t consume alcohol during pregnancy because it can cause birth defects.
What medicine is OK during pregnancy?
Which Medications Are Safe During Pregnancy?
- Safe to take: Regular and extra-strength Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Safe to take: Metamucil, Colace, Citracel, Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax.
- Safe to take: Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, Pepcid.
- Safe to take: Penicillin.
- Safe to take: Monistat, Gynelotrimin.
Is a cold dangerous when pregnant?
Having a cold during pregnancy will not usually affect the baby. Colds are mild illnesses that are handled by the immune system relatively easily.
Can a cold cause miscarriage in early pregnancy?
Although cold and flu viruses can certainly make you uncomfortable (especially if you’re pregnant and certain medications are off-limits), they aren’t likely to cause miscarriage. Since that time, though, studies evaluating the flu in pregnant women have not found an increased risk of miscarriage.
Can I use Vicks when pregnant?
Vicks Products May Be Used as Directed During Pregnancy
Many standard prescription and over-the-counter cold and allergy medicines cross the placenta, making them unsafe for your baby. Fortunately, the active ingredients in Vicks VapoRub are both effective and safe when used as suggested.
Can a baby catch a cold from breastfeeding?
It’s Okay to Breastfeed if You’re Sick
Common illnesses such as cold or diarrhea can’t be passed to the baby through breast milk. If the mother is sick, antibodies can be passed to the baby to protect the baby from getting the same illness as the mother.
What kind of cold medicine can I take while breastfeeding?
Sore throat sprays or lozenges are generally considered safe, as are cough drops. Avoid eating excessive amounts of cough drops containing menthol. Large amounts of menthol can reduce milk supply. Many forms of Robitussin, Delsym and Benylin are considered compatible with breastfeeding.
What is DayQuil?
What is DayQuil Cold & Flu? Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and fever reducer. Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant. It affects the signals in the brain that trigger cough reflex. Phenylephrine is a decongestant that shrinks blood vessels in the nasal passages.
Can baby feel when I rub my belly?
By now, you have probably already experienced the sensation of your baby kicking and turning inside you. He or she can feel you as well. As you rub your belly, you may be able to identify parts of your baby.
Do babies get sick in womb?
It’s no fun being sick, especially during pregnancy, when you’re likely to worry about your developing baby’s health as much as your own. But some infections can be transmitted to babies through the placenta or during birth, and when that happens, it may have serious consequences for the baby.
How can I boost my immune system while pregnant?
4 Ways to Help Strengthen Your Immunity During Pregnancy
- Get Your Iron On. Iron is a key mineral that helps keep your immune system strong during pregnancy.
- Maximize Your D Intake. Vitamin D is known as the “sunshine” vitamin because the body creates it naturally when skin is exposed to the sun’s UV rays.
- Add Probiotics to the Mix.
- Catch Some Zzzzzz.
Which drugs should be avoided during pregnancy?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants.
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin.
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).
What food causes miscarriage?
Foods that can cause miscarriage
- 01/9Smoked seafood. Smoked and refrigerated seafood (usually labeled as nova or lox) should be avoided as it might be contaminated with listeria.
- 02/9Raw eggs. Pregnant women should avoid under-cooked food.
- 03/9Unpasteurized milk.
- 04/9Drumstick Tree.
- 05/9Animal Liver.
- 06/9Aloe Vera.
- 07/9Sprouted Potato.
Can pregnancy cause cold symptoms?
It’s not uncommon for pregnant women to experience cold- or flu-like symptoms early in pregnancy. Pregnant women are more vulnerable to severe illnesses from the flu. This can lead to serious health problems for your baby.
How can I avoid miscarriage?
How Can I Prevent a Miscarriage?
- Be sure to take at least 400 mg of folic acid every day, beginning at least one to two months before conception, if possible.
- Exercise regularly.
- Eat healthy, well-balanced meals.
- Manage stress.
- Keep your weight within normal limits.
- Don’t smoke and stay away from secondhand smoke.
Can I take anything for a sore throat while pregnant?
There are also home remedies to help relieve the discomforts of strep throat. Gargle with warm salt water to help your sore throat feel better. Avoid cold liquids, which can aggravate a sore throat. Instead, try caffeine-free herbal teas, such as chamomile or lemon tea with cinnamon.
What can I take for a stuffy nose while pregnant?
To ease congestion and other symptoms of pregnancy rhinitis:
- Drink plenty of hydrating fluids.
- Elevate your head with extra pillows when you lie down to rest or sleep.
- Take a warm shower and linger in the steamy bathroom.
- Try saline nose drops or saline nasal spray, available over the counter at drugstores.
Does pregnancy weaken immune system?
The Cleveland Clinic weighs in, writing that the immune system is lowered slightly during pregnancy, rendering a pregnant woman more susceptible to coughs, colds and flu. Immune cells in the pregnant women’s blood showed a more vigorous response to the virus than cells in blood of non-pregnant women, the team found.
Can I take vitamin C during pregnancy?
Yes, although it’s not a good idea to take megadoses of vitamin C when you’re pregnant. There’s some limited evidence that taking too much vitamin C in the form of supplements during pregnancy may increase the risk of preterm birth. Excessive vitamin C can also upset your stomach.
How can I strengthen my immune system?
Healthy ways to strengthen your immune system
- Don’t smoke.
- Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
Photo in the article by “Needpix.com”