How to reduce swelling during pregnancy
- Avoid standing for extended periods. Whenever possible, sit and relax (or even lay down), with your legs elevated.
- Wear compression stockings.
- Engage in daily physical activity.
- Sleep on your left side.
- Walk or stand in a swimming pool.
- Stay hydrated.
- Do not wear tight clothing.
- Minimize outdoor time in the summer.
How can I reduce swelling during pregnancy?
What can you do to treat swelling during pregnancy?
- Avoid standing for long periods.
- Minimize outdoor time when it is hot.
- Rest with your feet elevated.
- Wear comfortable shoes, avoiding high heels if possible.
- Wear supportive tights or stockings.
- Avoid clothes that are tight around your wrists or ankles.
When should I be worried about swelling during pregnancy?
It’s normal to have a moderate amount of edema in the ankles and feet during pregnancy, and you may also have mild swelling in your hands. But call your healthcare provider if you notice any of these signs of preeclampsia: Excessive or sudden swelling of your feet or ankles.
What causes swollen legs during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, the extra fluid in the body and the pressure from the growing uterus can cause swelling (or “edema”) in the ankles and feet. Prop up your feet when sitting and avoid crossing your legs. Stretch often when sitting for long periods.
How can I reduce water retention during pregnancy?
- avoid standing for long periods.
- wear comfortable shoes and socks – avoid tight straps or anything that might pinch if your feet swell.
- try to rest with your feet up as much as you can.
- drink plenty of water – this helps your body get rid of excess water.
Is walking good for swollen feet during pregnancy?
Any kind of exercise during pregnancy — even just getting up from your desk for a brisk walk to the water cooler — will help deflate your swollen feet by getting those pooled fluids flowing again. Swimming (or other water exercises) is an especially great choice to combat edema.
Is hot or cold water better for swollen feet?
When the legs feel swollen, firm, or tight, it helps to tread cold water and use foot baths that alternate between hot and cold water. Consuming naturally diuretic foods and drinks and medications may be prescribed by a doctor to flush the kidneys and thereby relieve uncomfortable leg swelling.
What is the first sign of preeclampsia?
In addition to swelling, protein in the urine, and high blood pressure, preeclampsia symptoms can include: Rapid weight gain caused by a significant increase in bodily fluid. Abdominal pain. Severe headaches.
What is considered excessive swelling during pregnancy?
As pregnancy progresses, fluid may accumulate in tissues, usually in the feet, ankles, and legs, causing them to swell and appear puffy. This condition is called edema. Occasionally, the face and hands also swell. Some fluid accumulation during pregnancy is normal, particularly during the 3rd trimester.
Is swelling during pregnancy dangerous?
Puffy ankles and feet are normal during pregnancy, but can sometimes signal more serious problems. Although some swelling during pregnancy, called edema, isn’t usually cause for alarm, it’s important to keep an eye on your symptoms.