Caring for Twin Babies: 9 Do’s and Don’ts
- DO Sync Their Schedules. Getting your twins on the same feeding and napping schedule is essential.
- DON’T Separate Older Twin Babies.
- DO Connect With Other Twin Moms.
- DON’T Double Up on Everything.
- DO Choose Gender-Neutral Clothing.
- DON’T Get Clothing With Lots of Snaps.
- DO Buy Baby Essentials Online.
- DON’T Go in Alone.
How do I take care of my twin babies?
Top 10 Twins’ Baby Care Tips
- Sync Schedules. Syncing the sleeping and feeding schedule of both babies will allow you to get some rest when both babies are napping.
- Use A Double Stroller.
- Get Help.
- Join a Group.
- Buy Online.
- Don’t Buy Two Of Everything.
- Alternate Holding Time.
- Gender Neutral Clothing.
How do I take care of my twins at night?
Setting Up Your Twins’ Sleep Schedule
- Do double-duty feedings.
- Nap your twins at the same time.
- Wake a sleeping twin…if the other one is up for a feeding.
- Create a strong bedtime routine to help twins sleep.
- Make small goals.
Do you produce more milk with twins?
The more you breastfeed, the more milk you make. It has nothing to do with the number of babies breastfeeding or breast size. Women can produce enough milk for twins, triplets, and more without ever needing to supplement with artificial infant milk. This is not the same as joining a mothers of twins group.
How do you feed newborn twins?
When it’s feeding time, all you need to do is strap them in their seats and bring over the bottles. Use a nursing pillow — Use a twin-size nursing pillow (or two single-size feeding pillows) to bottle-feed your twins. The pillow wraps around your abdomen and allows one baby to rest on either side of the pillow.
Should my twins sleep together?
You can put your twins to sleep in a single cot while they’re small enough. This is called co-bedding and is perfectly safe. In fact, putting twins in the same cot can help them regulate their body temperatures and sleep cycles, and can soothe them and their twin.
How can I raise twins alone?
5 Tips to Manage Infant Twins Alone
- Put your twins on the same schedule. With a singleton, you can get by with following your baby’s cues much more than with twins.
- Experiment with different ways to put your twins to nap.
- Get familiar with your double stroller.
- Learn how to sleep train twins.
- Alternate holding and floor time.
Where do twins sleep when newborns?
The AAP clearly states that each baby should sleep on his or her own sleep surface, and not in the bed with an adult. Before you’re ready to put the babies in their own cribs in the nursery, use two portable cribs or a double bassinet for twins, such as the HALO® Bassinest® twin sleeper.
Is SIDS more common in twins?
The crude relative risk for SIDS among twins compared with singleton births was 2.06 (95% confidence interval, 1.94-2.19). The relative risk for a second twin dying of SIDS was 8.17 (90% confidence interval, 1.18-56.67).
How do you sleep with a newborn?
How Should Babies Sleep?
- Always place your baby on his or her back to sleep, not on the stomach or side.
- Use a firm sleep surface.
- Do not put anything else in the crib or bassinet.
- Avoid overheating.
- Keep your baby away from smokers.
- Put your baby to sleep with a pacifier.
Can twins be breastfed at the same time?
Use a twin baby pillow.
These large, U-shaped pillows can work for both breast- and bottle-feedings. For breastfeeding, sit in the center with a baby on either side, head out and feet toward your body (known as the classic football hold). Once they’re in position, they can both nurse at the same time.
How can I produce enough breast milk for twins?
Tips & positions to feed twins at the same time
- Consider a nursing pillow. One designed especially for twins can make it easier to position your babies.
- Get set up.
- Find the right nursing position.
- Alternate breasts.
- Nursing triplets (or more).
- Do what works for you.
- Focus on your latch.
How much milk should I be pumping for twins?
To help establish your supply, try pumping every two hours — or about 8 to 12 times in a 24-hour period. The amazing thing about pumping as opposed to nursing is that you can multitask — whether that’s digging into a bowl of ice cream or catching up on bills — while doing it.
How much formula should a newborn have?
In the first four to six months when your baby isn’t eating any solids, here’s a simple rule of thumb: Offer 2.5 ounces of formula per pound of body weight each day. For example, if your baby weighs 6 pounds, you’ll give her about 15 ounces of formula in a 24-hour period.
How long should you nurse on each side?
As babies get older, they become more efficient, so they may take about 5-10 minutes on each side, whereas newborns may feed for up to 20 minutes on each breast. Make sure your baby is latched on correctly from the beginning to ensure the most productive feeding possible.
Can you put newborn twins in the same crib?
One crib is fine in the beginning.
“Newborn twins can certainly remain in the same crib initially,” Walker says. “If they sleep better when they know the other is close by, crib-sharing can last up until they move into their childhood beds.”
Is it OK to sleep on right side during pregnancy?
A: There are so many myths out there regarding the sleep habits of pregnant women. Historically, practitioners have recommended sleeping with a little tilt to the left, therefore taking pressure off the aorta and vena cava. But, sleeping all the way to the right (on your right side) is fine too.
Should twin babies share a room?
That’s a wonderful solution for babies; however, as the children grow up, most parents begin to weigh other options. Same sex twins are often more likely to share a bedroom than fraternal multiples of different genders. Multiples who join a family with older siblings may share a space with an older brother or sister.
How much does it cost to raise twins?
Your Twins’ First Year: $25,880
If you’re average, middle-income parents, you can expect to spend $25,880 on your twins in their first year, according to 2013 figures from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
How can I survive twins?
Here are nine expert tips for synchronizing your twins’ schedules and establishing a routine that will work for everyone:
- Get Help.
- Be Flexible.
- Take Notes.
- Feed Them At the Same Time.
- Have Them Share Nap Time.
- Keep Them Together.
- Don’t Forget Yourself.
- Nurture Your Relationship.
What’s it like to raise twins?
What It’s Really Like To Raise Twins
- You Can Only Control the Things Within Your Control.
- Prepare For Less Sleep, More Stress.
- Yes, You’ll Have To Buy Two of Everything.
- You Might Want to Consider Hiring A Nanny.
- Twins Will Be In Sync With Each Other.
- Expect Them To Acknowledge Each Other’s Shortcomings.
What if you accidentally sleep on your back while pregnant?
Accidentally sleeping on your back while pregnant shouldn’t cause serious harm to your baby. But you should avoid sleeping in this position after the first trimester and for extended periods of time, for your own comfort and health. When you wake up on your back, just change your position and go back to sleep.
How do I get my newborn twins to sleep at night?
Helping twins sleep at the same time
- Set the same bedtime for both.
- Try two beds for two babies.
- Establish a bedtime routine for two.
- Settle your calm baby first.
- Put your babies to bed when they’re still awake.
- Swaddle your babies.
- Discourage nighttime waking.
- Accept that multiples sleep through the night when they’re ready.
How long is SIDS a concern?
Although much about the causes of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) is still unknown, doctors do know that the risk of SIDS appears to peak between 2 and 4 months, decrease after 6 months and is extremely rare after one year.
Photo in the article by “Pixabay”